Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
New puppy?
bjbragg posted:
I have a 3 year old morkie (1/2 maltese and 1/2 yorkie), male, Railey. He's the first inside dog we've had and have been blessed beyond measure. Easily potty trained, super smart and loyal like none other. He's certainly "my" dog as far as the others in the household are concerned. He's my bud and I honestly cannot imagine a day without him now.

My son is wanting a puppy of his own and we are considering another morkie or yorkie since we're familiar with their temperment, etc. My concern is that this will be really hard on Railey as I have to give attention to the pup for potty training, etc. My son will take the lead on most of it, but considering he's 12, I know I'll be doing quite a bit of it.

I would never want Railey to feel left out or to be hurt because I was paying attention to the pup. Should we just not consider getting another pup??? Any advice is certainly appreciated!

Will Draper, DVM responded:
bjbragg: Dogs respond differently to a new pet in the household, very much like people would. In my experience, however, an older dog responds much better to a puppy as opposed to a new adult pet. It might also benefit him to have a canine companion to live with. I'd say that if the rest of the family is on board with it (it's gonna take your son's help with Railey as well to make this transition a good one), that you should go for it. Keep us posted!
Dr. Will

soxienicobillyrowey responded:
I found bring a puppy in to my house helped my older dog,she be came more playful.I have 6 dogs and they all get along fine.They have the odd disagreement but in general they are ok.They are aged between 7yr to 9 months.You may find haveing a new dog in your home is good for Railey
Hope this helps you

bjbragg replied to Will Draper, DVM's response:
Thanks so much for your feedback, Dr. Draper. We never consider a new pet lightly and wanted to make sure it was best for everyone, including the four-legged family member. Ha! Have a great day!

bjbragg replied to soxienicobillyrowey's response:
Thanks so much for your thoughts & feedback. I've kept thinking that he'd probably love to have a buddy. He's such a social & friendly dog that I really think he'd get along just fine. Thanks again & have a great day!

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM, is a small animal internal medicine consultant for Phoenix Central Laboratory, an independent veterinary diagnostic laborat...More

Helpful Tips

Helping Hospice Patients Keep Their PetsExpert
Pets are an extremely important part of our lives. And this is especially true when we are at the end of our days. What could be more ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 46 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections