Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Vectra
Freddiebrown posted:
I agonized over using Vectra on my mix breed terrier who is super spoilt and never wants for anything - just to illustrate that he has been on home cooked chicken, carrots, kale, sweetpotato. So he is in good health. He is 15 years old and a year ago he started having heart problems. So flea season is here and we tried to stave off putting pesticide on him until he was going crazy scratching himself. Long story short, on a Monday evening I put a couple of drops of Vectra on his back... Much to our surprise on Tuesday, he stopped scratching... However on Wednesday past midnight, while I was working on the computer, he had a coughing episode (as is common with dogs with heart problems). I wanted to capture this on video to show my vet as it seemed like a strange cough we've never seen before. While turning on my phone, I noticed he fell over on his bed - like crumpled. I rushed over and noticed his limp body and picked him off the bed. I noticed he had wet his bed which was tinged reddish.. My husband was bawling and I kept us calm not wanting to freak out our dog who seem to have stopped breathing.
He started breathing shortly but just laid there...Long story short, he stabilized and we put him to bed. Next morning we went to his Cardiologist first thing. We asked him if it could be the flea medicine which he said not likely.... But I wonder...if it could be Vectra. In any case, I will not use it again. Fred is all back to himself, eating well, peeing and pooing well. We watch him like a hawk all the time.

Now I am going back to Frontline - he does get antsy for a few minutes but have never had episodes like this.

For those of you who do not know it, sometimes pets do pass out from what ever reason. Learn it here: I didn't know and was watching helplessly but just patting his chest which was what probably did the trick in a rudimentary way.
http://www.petmd.com/dog/emergency/common-emergencies

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

William Draper, DVM, better known as "Dr. Will," is a well-known small animal practitioner in the Atlanta, GA area. He grew up in Inglewood,...More

Helpful Tips

to: Msapprehension
dogs eat their poop by nature. before dogs were "pets" they were wild and ran in packs. they ate their poop everyday for two reasons: 1 - ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections