Skip to content

Announcements

Exciting News for WebMD Members!

We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

What Do You Need to Do?

The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

Canine Blood Tests
    raybosgirl posted:
    We took our 12-year-old mini schnauzer to a well-recommended vet in Mexico on Monday because she was having difficulty using her back legs. He did blood work and took x-rays. The x-rays showed spinal compression in both the cervical and lumbosacral areas. Since bringing her home, with pain pills and anti-inflammatories, she is now walking again, but the vet wanted to do blood work to see if she was stable for surgery. His lab's blood work has shown what the vet said was a DHL more than twice as high as normal, an SK 4 times higher than normal, and a very low thyroid titer. As a worker in the health professions for more than 35 years, I'm pretty well cognizant of most lab tests, but have not heard of, and can't find anywhere online, DHL or SK tests anywhere online, in either human or animal medical sites. Are they something normal but differently named in Spanish? Do you know what they are? Also, could these be a result of over-vaccination during the years? We are going to take the dog to the States next week, but in the meantime I'm wondering if you can shed any light on the lab work.

Helpful Tips

I think I finally have an answer for my grass eating Sadie!
    I have a Bloodhound/Lab mix, she is about four years old now, for the last two years she has been doing this same thing and I am so happy ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 2 found this helpful

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections