Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Craziest Thing Your Pet Has Ever Eaten?
Olivia_WebMD_Staff posted:
I've seen a few discussions on this board lately about pets eating odd things.

I used to have a chihuahua who LOVED to eat crayons. Since the kids left them all over the place, it was hard to keep her away from them.

Let's just say that when she had an accident in the house it was at least colorful!

What's the craziest thing YOUR pet has ever eaten?

Olivia

monamia responded:
I once had a doberman/lab mix and she had a lot of spirit and would get into anything available to her. She was an outside dog so we were able to control that reasonably well. But one day my mom had opened a storage area to get to a lime bag to treat the lawn for moss and forgot to close the door. When we next looked in, most of the big bag of lime was gone and our chocolate colored Cleo was pretty white, especially around the mouth. We were very scared she'd killed herself but nope, not a bit. Didn't even phase her.

SweetSusieB responded:
Ah you mean still eating, in my case.
Every time I buy new slippers my oldest dog, a 14 year old Bichon thinks they are for her enjoyment! If I say "go get your toy" she brings me my slipper!

They are silky material and I think she likes the material. Eventually they do become her toy and pretty much eaten!
But, I adore her!

rohvannyn replied to SweetSusieB's response:
I knew a kitten who tried to lick razor blades. Luckily, no harm was done and once that habit was discovered they were taken away. A couple of cats of mine have liked everything sweet, especially caramels, and one of them broke in to the cupboard to tear open the sealed bag of white sugar and eat some.

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM, is a small animal internal medicine consultant for Phoenix Central Laboratory, an independent veterinary diagnostic laborat...More

Helpful Tips

Excellent website for information on parasites in dogs and catsExpert
I just conducted a seminar and hands-on demonstration on diagnosis of fecal parasites to veterinarians and technicians. An excellent ... More
Was this Helpful?
33 of 47 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections