Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
My cats back legs stopped working
sammie11541 posted:
Well, it started off with her wobbleing around and losing her balance she still wanted to move around and do everything that she would do. My uncle gave her this pet apawthecary (that was the name for it, it is a natural juice) and has helped his cats with arthritis . But it went to she started dragging her self around and now she doesnt want to walk at all. he back paw pads are cold and shes just laying around like shes depressed which I dont blame her. But I feel terrible not knowing how I can help her, at least try to get her better. She is an older cat and has been with me for such a long time. If anyone has some answers I would love to know. i had heard that I should give her Nattokinase. But, I would like some other opinions. Thanks in advance for all the help really appreciate it.

srstephanie responded:
Hi Sammie11541,

I'm sorry to hear about your kitty. You need to get her to a vet NOW! If she has no use of her back legs and her back feet are cold, she may not be getting any blood circulation to her legs. A common cause of that is from a blood clot that originates in the heart and gets lodged in the artery where it splits to go down each leg (sometimes called a "saddle thrombosis"). It can be very painful to the cat and can indicated heart disease (frequently a disease called "HCM" for Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy) which causes a thickening of the left ventricle of the heart. It would require an ultrasound of the heart to diagnose but a vet can listen for a heart murmur which is often (but not always) present. Your vet can also check for a pulse in the back legs to see if she is getting any blood circulation to them.

If it is a blood clot that is causing the paralysis, there are a couple medications a vet can try to help dissolve it. And a vet can also give her pain medication which is very important.

I'm not a vet and there may also be other causes. Most cats with arthritis have pain walking but still get around and don't drag their back legs. It might be a spinal problem ... but I'm mostly concerned over your comment that her paw pads are cold. She REALLY needs immediate vet care. This could be an emergency situation.

You also mention that she is an "older" cat ... so, if she hasn't had a complete checkup recently, she should have one ... with a senior blood test that, among other things, will check her kidney function and thyroid function. Hyperthyroidism (high thyroid) is also common in older cats and can usually be controlled easily with medication. Uncontrolled Hyperthyroidism can also lead to the same type of heart thickening (and blood clots) as HCM ... but if the thickening is caused by the hyperthyroidism, once that is controlled, the heart will usually improve and return to near normal.

Good luck and let us know how she does.

Stephanie in Montreal

sammie11541 replied to srstephanie's response:
After I had posted this, it was hard finding a place to take her since its sunday and most places were closed. We took her to the emergency animal hospital. But, Sadly she passed away. Thank you for your comment I know shes in a better place now and isn't suffering anymore.

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Bernadine D. Cruz, DVM, is an associate veterinarian at Laguna Hills Animal Hospital, Laguna Hills, Calif. She specializes in companion animal medicin...More

Helpful Tips

Helping Hospice Patients Keep Their PetsExpert
Pets are an extremely important part of our lives. And this is especially true when we are at the end of our days. What could be more ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 46 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections