Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Includes Expert Content
    two special diet cats
    luvmykitties posted:
    I have a diabetic cat who is on a special diet and receives insulin injections. I just recently had a cat who had major rectal prolapse surgery and is now on a special diet as well because the vet thinks she has food allergies. He prescribed Hills Feline Allergen z/d (dry) and w/d (can). He is not sure if my diabetic cat can eat this food. I have e-mailed Hills and am also going to call. I know my diabetic cat should not be eating dry and it isn't good for any of my babies but have not started the process of weening it from them. Besides the BLUE that I buy for Callie, my diabetic baby, I now have to buy special for Sassy (rectal prolapse girl). pocketbook cannot stand another special diet. Any and all help greatly appreciated
    Drew Weigner, DVM, ABVP responded:
    Unfortunately, this is a common problem, where one cat needs a different diet than the other. It may be possible to find a diet they can both eat, but it may not be ideal for either one of them. For instance, Hill's W/D used to be recommended for diabetic cats (before M/D was available) so it may be possible to feed this in dry form to both cats and feed them different canned diets separately (as they'll usually eat the canned food quickly.) This is really a question for your veterinarian, since he knows both cats well. He can call the food manufacturer's technical support line for recommendations if needed. No matter what, your diabetic cat may need a change in insulin dose if her diet is changed.

    Drew Weigner, DVM, ABVP
    The Cat Doctor
    Board Certified in Feline Practice

    Helpful Tips

    I think I finally have an answer for my grass eating Sadie!
    I have a Bloodhound/Lab mix, she is about four years old now, for the last two years she has been doing this same thing and I am so happy ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 2 found this helpful

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    Learn more about the AVMA

    WebMD Special Sections