Skip to content

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Pooch Personalities: What makes your dog special?
Olivia_WebMD_Staff posted:
Different breeds of dog have unique personality traits. For instance, our family dog is an Australian Shepherd .

He defnitely exhibits the traits discussed in this article, but the things that make him really special are his very own quirks. He's lovable and goofy. He loves nothing better than playing games with our kids. In fact, his favorite game is a chasing game that starts in our enclosed pool area. The kids go out one door, and he starts this high-pitched yip, runs around the pool once and out the door on the other side of the screen to chase them around the house. It's like he KNOWS they are only human and need the head start! LOL. He also hates to be ignored and will "talk" to you with little growly noises if you're working at the computer (which I do A LOT) or watching TV, etc.

Does your dog fit his/her breed traits? What quirks make your pup special?

(You can find many breed articles in the WebMD Healthy Dogs Center . Look to the left on the Aussie article linked above.)

MandyCake responded:
I miss my babies... I love wolves and wolf hybrids... Raising them I felt that we had a great bond, that we were somehow connected. Communication was great... Their love and loyalty, their wisdom and free spirit.... wonderful... I can't say enough positive things about these lovely babies...

Sadly, My last one, Jack died last December and my new apartment only allows cat... So I have a cat, but it is not the same... The cat is sweet but there is a difference...

rohvannyn replied to MandyCake's response:
For dogs I'll have to borrow my mom's dog. She's a purebred Blue Heeler, very strong willed, very intelligent just like her breed is supposed to be. And she's FAST! Faster than a horse! One thing that is odd though, is she's a bit of a coward. She hides behind people when she's worried. It's cute. We'd never met before but she recognized me as a member of the "pack" almost immediately and we became the best of friends within about an hour. She still remembers me even though I only see her once a year.

I have a close relationship with a calico cat, she's a true typical unpredictable calico and I love her best. I get along better with cats even though dogs love me.

MandyCake replied to rohvannyn's response:
Rohvannyn,

Is there a book or guide that is about "cat language?" I speak dog but not cat ... lol... I picked up when my cat wants me up, when she wants a special treat, when she is mad and when she wants to play but that's it...

In Harmony,
Bonnie

SoCalSuz responded:
Your dog sound adorable Olivia!

We have a rescue dog who is part Chow Chow. She has a partially black tongue and a big puffy coat. My husband and I fell in love with her at the shelter. She was so alert and bouncy and friendly.

Later we found out that Chow's are known to be an aggressive breed. Lucky for us (we have kids), that didn't turn out to be the case.

She's approaching 12 but is still very puppy like. At least once a day she races around the yard like she's being chased by a monster! She's very bark-y too. I'm home by myself pretty often but I feel very safe with her by my side.

Her favorite trick is sneaking onto the couch. She knows it's off limits (she's super furry) but she'll get this sneaky look on her face, wait for me to leave the room and launch herself onto it.

I think having her has made our lives better! Suz

bpcookie responded:
My dogs name is Chewy and she llllooovvvveees to chew things. She is a terrier mix. The thing that she loves the most is her tennis ball. She is totally OCD over it. She wants us to throw the ball CONSTANTLY!!!!! Sometimes she likes to play a game where she will sit by her ball, when you bend over to pick it up she will grab it and run off, wanting you to chase her. She will trot along just out of your reach. Its like she is saying "Old woman, you can't catch me", and she is right.

She talks to us too. When she wants our attentions she will make this cute noise, its not quite a howl and not quite a growl, its like "wwooooooooo, wwoooo".

Sometimes she acts like a cat. She will crouch down and then pounce on her ball like a cat pounces on a mouse. I blow bubbles for her and not only will she jump up and bite the bubbles, she will try to get the ones on the ground with her paws. Looks just like a cat when she does it.

I just adore the little stinker

rohvannyn replied to MandyCake's response:
Hi Bonnie! Cat language is interesting. Of course, it varies from cat to cat. A really interesting book I can think about right away is called "The Tribe of Tiger." I'm not at a place where I can find out the author's name, but you should be able to find it pretty easily online or at a library. It's awesome, a really eye opening book. Otherwise, one of the best things you can do is just play with your cat, watch them, love them, and attune with them. Get to know them in particular and communication will become easier. My own cat communicates quite well. Really, it's like getting to know a new baby.

I and others could probably tell you about different ways of communicating with cats, if you want I'll create a topic for it. Here's some resources I hope are useful.

http://pets.webmd.com/cats/features/cat-body-language

http://pets.webmd.com/cats/cats-behavior-directory

http://pets.webmd.com/cats/ss/slideshow-behaviorial-problems-in-cats

arbob5 responded:
We have a 3 year old female maltipoo, Bella, and she is a DIVA!!! Love her to death, but she runs our household. She is so cute and so lovable, but she definitely knows how to get her way.

She is a great watch dog and really loves our grandkids, But she is very suspicious of a lot of people...we got her from a puppy mill, and she definitely has problems with some people. She won't bite anyone, but will bark and then hide somewhere. We don't know what vibes she picks up from some people, but a lot of these people are neighbors and good friends. As I said, she doesn't do it to everyone, she is picky, but some people just seem to bring back bad memories or something. It breaks our hearts when we think about what these poor animals went through.

She is very playful. Loves to "go fetch" her favorite little, squeaky, rubber soccer ball. She has 3 of them...she hides them where she pleases and brings them out when she wants play time. It really amuses us when she does this.

But our Bella now has a great, loving home, and she is definitely an integral part of our family. Love her so much!!!

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Bernadine D. Cruz, DVM, is an associate veterinarian at Laguna Hills Animal Hospital, Laguna Hills, Calif. She specializes in companion animal medicin...More

Helpful Tips

Just feed them ?
I caught my dog frantically licking the floor in the middle of the night last night. I took her outside and she started eating dry leaves ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections