Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
Flea Frenzied...
hollybee123 posted:
About 5 months ago, I discovered my (indoor only) cat had fleas. I immediately began using Frontline & have had it administered to him once a month ever since. Earlier this month, I found 2 more fleas on him! My husband & I, once again began the arduous task of spraying & cleaning every nook & cranny of our apartment...we even gave the cat a bath (which he of course HATES). I'm sure you can imagine how distressed I was to find MORE fleas on him today! My husband is now talking about having our kitty dipped & bombing our apartment, but I am worried about doing so as I am going into my 8th month of pregnancy. I am at my wits end & so completely done with these stupid bugs! Does anyone have any words of advice as to what can be done???

rohvannyn responded:
Might want to try diatomaceous earth, available cheaply at most garden stores. It's nontoxic and makes it hard for fleas to breathe, and cuts them up so they dehydrate. To people and pets, it's just a fine powder, made of fossilized diatoms.

Spreading that around in the carpet between thorough vacuumings can help, and I imagine dusting it into upholstery would help too. Good luck with everything.

JeannieY responded:
Make sure you use the food grade ones. I don't know which state you live in but recently, I was informed by a major pet store that all DE sold in California is no longer food grade so since it can get on your cat's fur, he'll lick it which would not be good for him.

I have been using DE for the past 6 months now and it works great. I spread it all over the house, wall-to-wall, and even on the couch cushions, etc. It does get very dusty since you have to leave it for 3-5 days but way safer than flea bombing your home.

Food-grade DE can be consumed by people and animals.
I got the 50 pound bag from Amazon.com so it lasts me a long time.

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Drew Weigner, DVM, ABVP responded:
You are correct: the problem is your apartment. Whatever you use, there's nothing that will kill flea eggs, and they'll hatch every 7-10 days. So you must treat your apartment once weekly for four weeks to resolve your flea problem. Since you're in your last trimester of pregnancy, most products are safe if used according to directions. If there's any doubt, ask your obstetrician.

Drew Weigner, DVM, ABVP
The Cat Doctor
Board Certified in Feline Practice

atlgreek responded:
hollybee123, do NOT bomb your house with those chemicals! Use the food grade diatomaceous earth and spread on your carpet and upholstery. My dog never had fleas but this summer was really bad for them. I also was using Frontline and found out that the fleas had become immune to Frontline. I got rid of her fleas, cut her fur very short, and then used the diamtomaceous earth in my house for 2-4 weeks. It worked beautifully! No chemicals, just all natural ingredients. It is a little more work but quite worth your health.

atlgreek replied to Drew Weigner, DVM, ABVP's response:
There is NO WAY I would use that flea bomb, especially being pregnant! I miscarried a child from chemicals being sprayed in my house that were considered safe.

sharonnf7 responded:
I use to work for a vet. When you use Frotline fleas don't die until it bits the animal. If you don't know how long the fleas where on your cat then you may be getting upset for no reason. The same goes for Advantage. The tick or fleas have to bit the animal before they will die. I use Frontline to and have for years. Both are good products.

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

William Draper, DVM, better known as "Dr. Will," is a well-known small animal practitioner in the Atlanta, GA area. He grew up in Inglewood,...More

Helpful Tips

Helping Hospice Patients Keep Their PetsExpert
Pets are an extremely important part of our lives. And this is especially true when we are at the end of our days. What could be more ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 46 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections