Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Why did she pass away so quick???
An_248949 posted:
My only daughter (my dog, Maltese) passed away this Thursday, she was only 7 years and 2 months old. Why did it happen so quickly? On Tuesday she didn't eat anything, also started to loss her balance. I got a little worried and found online that it could be "Idiopathic Vestibular Disease", I also should wait 3 days for her condition to improve. I gave her a small IAMS treat, she ate it very slowly.

Wednesday came she seemed about the same, but this time she didn't pay attention to her favorite treat. She started to urinate and started to throw up. It started to be once in 5 hours to once every hour. After that she just wanted to be close to me. I hugged her alot, but still needed more answers on why she is like this. Once again it was I was told that it was "Idiopathic Vestibular Disease", just wait a day more.

The last the of her life came, and she was just around me more. So I got to be with her. She then walked to urinate, but this time she got a seizure or a stroke. I picked her up to give her mouth to mouth, etc. I felt that she was breathing so it seemed like a seizure. After 5 or 10 minutes of trying to bring her back, she came back. So a ran to the vet, but when I got there it was closed. Then walking back home with her, 1 block away I felt a large breath; but didn't think to much of it. When I got home I put her on the bed and noticed that she passed away.

Ever since that happened on Thursday, I just want to find the answer of "Why did she die?" I've checked so much on the internet but I can't seem to find the answer. I will recieve her ashes on Tuesday, but I just would want her back.

I couldn't write everything that happened in those days, but I tried to be as specific as possible. Everthing has passed my mind, but I'm still looking for an answer.

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM, is a small animal internal medicine consultant for Phoenix Central Laboratory, an independent veterinary diagnostic laborat...More

Helpful Tips

Helping Hospice Patients Keep Their PetsExpert
Pets are an extremely important part of our lives. And this is especially true when we are at the end of our days. What could be more ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 46 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections