Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
Taking a trip, have no choice but to kennel my cats...
cindigal posted:
Please forgive me for this long post.... and not caring too much about kennels (cages) at all for my 2 cats. I always spoiled them and the only time I was away was ..one trip i went to my sister in Chgo. I left them for 3 days at home but my son came over and fed them and change litter. This time I am flying across 4 states and for 7 days and too long for them to stay at home. My son and wife won't take them to their house, his wife never liked the cats from the first time. My granddaughter who's 4 comes over with her dad to play with the cats.

So, I am going to visit my mom and sister in Florida over Christmas which I should be tickled pink because I haven't seen her since last year when they came to Chgo at Christmas. I took a train to my sisters and we had a nice visit with everyone.

I never wanted to board my cats, I dont have any friends to take them and i live in a quiet residential area. Anyway, I wanted to get any feedback about kennels and how do cats fare in them when their owners board them there. Do they have any withdrawal symptoms when they come out of the kennels..?? My cats are with me all the time, only me 24/7. I just want someone to say everything will be fine an d not to worry.

cindigal

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Drew Weigner, DVM, ABVP responded:
Most cats do fine in kennels if they're kept separate from dogs and especially any sick cats. Make sure to find one that requires current vaccinations and Feline Leukemia tests to board there. Your veterinarian will also know who to use in your area. If you can, board them one night well before your trip to see how they do.

That said, there is probably a pet sitter in your area that will come to your house and care for your cats in your home. Again, your veterinarian will probably know who to use. Also, ask your friends if they have a recommendation, and arrange to meet them well in advance of your trip.

Keep in mind that many places will be full over the holidays, so do this right away.

Drew Weigner, DVM, ABVP
The Cat Doctor
Board Certified in Feline Practice

FLKittez responded:
I feel for you. I have 3 special needs kitties (never owned, barely fostered, rescued from a not-so-nice shelter). They are sisters, indoor cats. It took 2 years for them to like me...they don't like anyone else.

I had to board them due to termiting process. My vet recommended a cats only boarding facility. They were able to share the same cage, which was a very large space. It helped tremendously that they could be together, as they love each other greatly.

This facility called me every day with an update on how they were doing, eating habits, etc.

This was a far better solution than boarding them where dogs were also boarded (quieter) and much larger space.

Try to find this type of place and you will feel much, much better!

d_caitlin responded:
I had a smiliar experience to FLKittez. I was gone all last week with my family and needed to board my two kittens(8 mo.). I contacted the rescue I got them from and she recommended a cats only boarding facility where the owners do pet grooming, for both dogs and cats, but board only felines in their spacious downstairs.

They were so great! My two kittens had a big room all to themselves full of climbing trees and shelves and beds, and toys. There was also a chair in there which the employees would sit in and visit with them every day, playing with them, petting them. They constantly played relaxing music in their room so there was always noise, and I left one of my blankets with them so they could have something that smelled familiar.

They also sent me updates every day and told me how they were adjusting. One of my kittens is fairly skittish, but with her brother there and all the toys, and especially the bird feeder outside her window(which she loved!), she settled in just fine. My cats only have me and each other 24/7 as well, and are wary of new people, so it was great to hear how my boy was purring for the workers and my girl finally let them pet her toward the end.

When I picked them up, my girl held a grudge against me for about 20 minutes(which is common for her when I leave her), but my boy was immediately reaching up to me to be held and has been cuddling with me ever since.

And as an added bonus, the place wasn't very expensive either! My cousin pays me the same rate when I watch her dog for the week.

Look around for a place like that and your cats should do very well.

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

William Draper, DVM, better known as "Dr. Will," is a well-known small animal practitioner in the Atlanta, GA area. He grew up in Inglewood,...More

Helpful Tips

Helping Hospice Patients Keep Their PetsExpert
Pets are an extremely important part of our lives. And this is especially true when we are at the end of our days. What could be more ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 46 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections