Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
Any ideas???
jselleck posted:
We have an 11 year old neutered male who seems to have a gas problem. His farts are so bad that he's running our other cat out of the litter box and giving me watered eyes the few times he's laid a good one around me. It's so bad that our younger cat is refusing to use the litter box any more. (We only have one.) We've thought about setting up two litter boxes, but don't really have the space for it. I think what may be causing the problem is when he was seven he ate a cardboard circle off a ketchup bottle and it screwed his digestive system up. He can't eat hard food without puking it up almost immediately so we feed him soft food. That seems to help with the food end, but sometimes he still gets sick after we've fed him treats. (Only Wiskerlickins.) What also may be contributing to.his problems is he likes to eat other strange things. Like carpet and stuffing off a comforter. I'm at my whits end. Please help. If anyone has any idea how we can help our cats, please do so. Thanks in advance.

JSelleck

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Drew Weigner, DVM, ABVP responded:
While some cats do have occasional flatulence, an excessive amount is not normal. I can't think of anything that eating cardboard several years ago would do to cause this, but there are many other possible causes. It could be something as simple as parasites to something much more serious, like intestinal disease. The first thing is to have him examined by your veterinarian. Stool tests for parasites can be performed in the office while you wait. If they're negative, your veterinarian will likely perform further testing to determine the cause.

Drew Weigner, DVM, ABVP
The Cat Doctor
Board Certified in Feline Practice

jselleck replied to Drew Weigner, DVM, ABVP's response:
Thanks for the help doc!!! I'll try to convince my husband to take him in. Appreciate it.

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM, is a small animal internal medicine consultant for Phoenix Central Laboratory, an independent veterinary diagnostic laborat...More

Helpful Tips

milk in nursing dogs
My chihuahua had 6 puppies on April 22nd and now seems to be running out of milk. Two of the six are not gaining weight and will not take ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections