Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
My cat swallowed a string *HELP*
JxCat posted:
I need help, my cat cascade has swallowed a string about i would say 7 inches long but i dont really know, i tried pulling it but the string was resisting to even budge so i stopped but i think i cut his tongue with the string because he wont close his mouth and he is drooling, I took some scissors and cut the parts hanging out the mouth and the rest of the string i could see, I think he swallowed the rest all the vets are closed and none of them will answer the phone regardless, We went to PetSmart and bought my cat some cat snacks- Digestive Support Premium Formula soft chews they are made to help the intestinal tract pass through things thats why we got it, and also we took some water in a dropper and put some water in his mouth because he isn't eating or drinking, It is a string from a mattress, but he has been doing pretty good this happened this morning while i was asleep and he woke me up drooling on my hand, but can someone please tell me what to do how long would it take to pass through and for him to poop it out, Basically everything i need to know. Please I'm very worried about my cascade he is only 5 years old Orange Tabby Someone please help me tell me what to do I'm worried about him he isn't drinking, eating, or using the bathroom.

jselleck responded:
I'm so sorry to hear about your poor kitty. Are there any emergency pet clinics near you??? When my cat Jack swallowed a cardboard circle from a ketchup bottle we had to take him to one. They gave him IV fluids to help him pass it, and eventually he was okay. Since then he's had the habit of swallowing/eating many things including carpet fringe, yarn, and feathers. Other than tearing his stomach up to the point that he can't eat hard food, he's okay. I strongly recommend checking your local yellow pages for an emergency vet. I warn you that they cost an arm and a leg, but in the end it was worth it for us. Jack was about the same age as your little Cascade. Hope this helps and your cat gets better soon. Dropping water with an eye dropper is a good idea too. If he/she starts to vomit, especially bloody vomit get him to a vet immediately. Good luck.

JSelleck

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Drew Weigner, DVM, ABVP responded:
If there isn't a veterinary emergency clinic in your area, you'll need to take him to your veterinarian first thing in the morning. This is a potentially life-threatening problem as the string can cut through his intestinal tract. There's nothing more you can do today, but take him in as soon as your veterinarian's clinic opens tomorrow, even if he seems better.

Drew Weigner, DVM, ABVP
The Cat Doctor
Board Certified in Feline Practice

JxCat replied to jselleck's response:
Ah but that's the problem my dad is hurt out of work so he isn't make much money we're lucky were passing as we are my dad said he is gonna try and get it to the vet Wednesday but that might be to late the vets over here wont take the animal unless you have money like i said he swallowed it sometime Saturday morning around 3am-10am he still isn't eating or drinking we gave him so water forcefully and he is refusing the pills he has used the liter box twice but no string and his mouth is still sorta opened and he is still drooling saliva, but he has been sleeping he hasn't vomited yet but it does sound like he isn't breathing from his mouth just from his nose but i don't know about that, he is slowly getting back to normal but not fast enough to make me stop worrying i read up on certain sites saying if it doesn't come out in 48hrs bring him, but there is another problem me and my father pulled on the string sorta hard before we knew anything so i hope we didn't mess anything up is there anything i can do until Wednesday to help my cat..

JxCat replied to Drew Weigner, DVM, ABVP's response:
Ah but that's the problem my dad is hurt out of work so he isn't make much money we're lucky were passing as we are my dad said he is gonna try and get it to the vet Wednesday but that might be to late the vets over here wont take the animal unless you have money like i said he swallowed it sometime Saturday morning around 3am-10am he still isn't eating or drinking we gave him so water forcefully and he is refusing the pills he has used the liter box twice but no string and his mouth is still sorta opened and he is still drooling saliva, but he has been sleeping he hasn't vomited yet but it does sound like he isn't breathing from his mouth just from his nose but i don't know about that, he is slowly getting back to normal but not fast enough to make me stop worrying i read up on certain sites saying if it doesn't come out in 48hrs bring him, but there is another problem me and my father pulled on the string sorta hard before we knew anything so i hope we didn't mess anything up is there anything i can do until Wednesday to help my cat..

JxCat responded:

jselleck replied to JxCat's response:
Don't know what else you can do other than what you are. We were lucky when Jack got sick the first time. My husband's grandmother and just given us some money. All my sympathy is going out to you. We're sorta in the same situation. I'm on disability and not working and my husband is a security guard not making much money. But we survive. Hope things work out for you and your poor cat. Take care.

JSelleck

JxCat replied to jselleck's response:
Thank you so much for all your help, You take care also.

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

William Draper, DVM, better known as "Dr. Will," is a well-known small animal practitioner in the Atlanta, GA area. He grew up in Inglewood,...More

Helpful Tips

How to Get Your Cat in a CarrierExpert
Trying to get your cat in a carrier for a trip to the veterinarians or road trip can be extremely frustrating. Some how a 10# cat that ... More
Was this Helpful?
19 of 26 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections