Skip to content

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
Dog Has Kennel Cough After Vaccine. How Long Will It Last?
lestytilley posted:
I just adopted a one year old rescue chug (pug/chihuahua). I took him to the vet on Saturday to get him checked out and vaccinated. He was given the intranasal Bordetella. For the rest of the day, he acted like he was feeling sick, but that can be a side effect of any number of vaccines. The next day, however, he developed that awful hacking cough typical of Tracheobronchitis. In reading up on it, I've learned that it's actually not all that uncommon for a dog to develop mild symptoms of Kennel Cough after receiving the Bordetella vaccine. He no longer acts sick, and he hasn't had any diarrhea or vomiting; he has just been coughing like crazy for the past three days. About how long should I expect this to last?

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Bernadine Cruz, DVM responded:
You are fabulous for adopting a rescue dog! You are correct, there are times when I have vaccinated a dog and have the pet owner report some mild sneezing and occasional cough afterwards. The signs typically last for only a day or two. I am concerned that your dog may have been incubating a respiratory illness even before you adopted him. I would suggest that you contact your veterinarian if he is still feeling 'off'. If he is feeling perky, eating well and is not running a fever, you may need to let it run its course. Like you and I with the flu, time is often the only treatment we need. I would not take it around other pets because of the potential of spreading his illness.

lestytilley replied to Bernadine Cruz, DVM's response:
Thank you so much! The worst of it lasted about four days, but he is doing much better now. He still has an occasional cough, usually when he gets really excited about something, but otherwise he seems totally happy and healthy. He is currently laying in my lap, snoring away.

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM, is a small animal internal medicine consultant for Phoenix Central Laboratory, an independent veterinary diagnostic laborat...More

Helpful Tips

How to Get Your Cat in a CarrierExpert
Trying to get your cat in a carrier for a trip to the veterinarians or road trip can be extremely frustrating. Some how a 10# cat that ... More
Was this Helpful?
19 of 26 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections