Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
My kitty has become incontinent, has episodes, please help.
An_249164 posted:
My cat Sofia is about 3 years old, she has always had some incidents, but lately it's gotten bad. She seems to have episodes where she will start acting very skittish, running around and hissing, sometimes taking a swipe at your hand, while normally she's very sweet and mellow. When this happens she doesn't respond to noise, she doesn't seem to hear you if you call her name or snap a finger. She then will lose control of her bowels usually dropping once, which seems to scare her, then she runs to a corner sometimes yowling as she continues to go, she can leave 2 or three piles at one time. While this is bad, tonight after returning from vacation where we had friends checking on our cats, she did this again and then topped it off by hiding and peeing on a kitchen chair.

My girlfriend and I live in a 1bedroom apartment. We have 2 cats, a brother and sister who my girlfriend rescued and has had since they were both kittens. They've always shared a litter box although their last apartment was bigger, Sofia had some incidents then, where she would defecate out of the litter box, but I guess it didn't seem to be prompted by anything. They were doing fine in their new home for a couple of months, no accidents at all, but then it just started.

We change the litter pretty regularly and have tried different litter, we've tried uncovering the box, cleaning the box, moving their food away from the box, removing any scented air-fresheners away from their litter area, and nothing's worked. We're going to take her to the vet, but I'm wondering if anyones experienced anything similar, if you have any suggestions or know what the problem might be, and if it is a medical condition how much treatment might run.

Thanks.

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Drew Weigner, DVM, ABVP responded:
There are several possibilities for your cat's symptoms. She may be having seizures, especially if the symptoms start and stop suddenly. It's also possible she gets constipated and finds it uncomfortable to defecate. There's also a disease called "hyperesthesia" that has some of the symptoms you describe. Only your veterinarian can tell what's causing her issue, so you're right to make an appointment. Obviously, the cost of treatment will depend on what is found.

Drew Weigner, DVM, ABVP
The Cat Doctor
Board Certified in Feline Medicine

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM, is a small animal internal medicine consultant for Phoenix Central Laboratory, an independent veterinary diagnostic laborat...More

Helpful Tips

to: Msapprehension
dogs eat their poop by nature. before dogs were "pets" they were wild and ran in packs. they ate their poop everyday for two reasons: 1 - ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections