Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
dog's penis won't retract
Help4Shushie posted:
approximately 2 hours ago I noticed that the head of my dog's penis is red, protruding, and enlarged about the size of a nickel. It looks like he is blowing up a red balloon with his penis. He is a 7 1/2 month 10# Shih Tzu. He does not seem to be in any pain or distress. Walking & playing without difficulty. Only occassionally licking area. Has only urinated (a little) once since I noticed problem. Tried applying a warm moist rag to area and have also tried Vaseline but neither helped. What should I do? Any suggestions? Upset Mom :crying:

tjames0002 responded:
I've been having a similiar problem with my male poodle who is 8 years old after having bladder stones removed. It is is swollen and will not retract, contact an emergency vet office. He may need to be seen. Try using KY lubricant and see if you can pull the sheath (skin) back over his penis. If this does not work and he has not gone to the bathroom, I would definitely contact the vet. He could be having other problems as well. I have put posts out here under Bladder Stones in Dogs. You are welcome to read the advice the vet gave to me as well. Hope this helps!

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Bernadine D. Cruz, DVM, is an associate veterinarian at Laguna Hills Animal Hospital, Laguna Hills, Calif. She specializes in companion animal medicin...More

Helpful Tips

Excellent website for information on parasites in dogs and catsExpert
I just conducted a seminar and hands-on demonstration on diagnosis of fecal parasites to veterinarians and technicians. An excellent ... More
Was this Helpful?
33 of 47 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections