Skip to content

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Lymph gland enlargement
An_249247 posted:
Last week we took our 14 year old collie dog to the vets after finding that her lymph glands under her jaw had become enlarged. She had for a while had problems eating her food (dry) but had not lost her appetite as she would eat soft food and did seem hungry. I also noticed that her nose seemed swollen. She seemed continually tired and looked ill.
I was prepared for the worst, and when the vet examined her glands in several areas said she had lymphoma we were devastated but not surprised. However she did say that only the glands under her jaw were enlarged and the others were not but also she had oedema.
Without any further tests she prescribed antibiotics and steroids. She did not ask any medical history.
We took her home and prepared to spend the last few weeks with her.

Within 24 hours the swelling had halved and she seemed much better. Now 6 days later we cannot even find the glands, but I am concerned that she now has laboured breathing and excessively pants. Does anyone think that the vet we saw assumed because of her age that she had lymphoma. Are the steroids causing the laboured breathing that was not present before and should I insist on a biopsy.

Was she in short incompetent in not doing a more thorough examination.

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

William Draper, DVM, better known as "Dr. Will," is a well-known small animal practitioner in the Atlanta, GA area. He grew up in Inglewood,...More

Helpful Tips

Just feed them ?
I caught my dog frantically licking the floor in the middle of the night last night. I took her outside and she started eating dry leaves ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections