Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
rescue puppy question
short18 posted:
have a gsd puppy maybe 10 weeks old female. she was extreme malnourished. ears caked with dirt and grime. took her home and bathed her and took her to emergancy clinic to get checked out. puppy has severe hookworms. ears checked out fine, heart and lungs fine. but i have notices a twitch/wobble to her and she doesnt respond to eye test of moving hand close to her face she should pull back but she just stares forward. she is very smart puppy she almost has crate training down and she already learned her name and sit in the 4 days i have had her. she has had 24 hr care since she has been in my care.
Q: is she blind ? or haveing trouble seeing is that why she acts hyper with her movements ? and besides cotton ball test or hand test how can i check her eye sight? is it fixible?

rohvannyn responded:
We can't really tell if it's fixable, but she could be blind. Even if she is, though, she can still have a full and happy life- dogs do pretty well with just nose and ears, after all. Especially if she is smart! Being blind could make her more nervous, I suppose, which could contribute to her being hyper. It's kind of you to rescue her, I wish you the best.

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Bernadine D. Cruz, DVM, is an associate veterinarian at Laguna Hills Animal Hospital, Laguna Hills, Calif. She specializes in companion animal medicin...More

Helpful Tips

Excellent website for information on parasites in dogs and catsExpert
I just conducted a seminar and hands-on demonstration on diagnosis of fecal parasites to veterinarians and technicians. An excellent ... More
Was this Helpful?
33 of 47 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections