Skip to content

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Dog episodes of uncontrolled licking and gulping
kjohnsonark posted:
Hi All, My dog has had episodes of The Gulps over the last 3 years. The one, the only, thing that has work consistently to stop a gulping session for the boy is lactium.

If you haven't bumped into lactium, it's a milk protein that has strong stress-reducing properties without any side effects. From what I've read because it's strictly a milk product is extremely safe and can be given frequently. It's being used very successfully for dogs with anxiety problems and in people too for stress.

My guy gets two capsules at the start of an episode. Usually within 15 minutes he can relax and sleep - the episode is over. A couple of times I've given him a second dose an hour or so later if the gulps started up again. On one occasion - ok, I was very tired and it was 3 in the morning so forgive me if this seems extreme - a second dose hadn't been enough and I popped the boy 4 more. In 10 minutes he was completely relaxed and asleep.

Hope it's ok to mention a specific product on this discussion board 'cause here goes. You can get lactium from your vet. It's kinda expensive. However, it sells as Swanson's Women's Anti-Stress Formula for only a few dollars.

I've used the Swanson product for the past year and it's worked every time. Of course that doesn't mean it'll work for every dog every time or even my boy next time for sure but it may be worth looking into.

suzzak responded:
my dog does the same thing. We are treating her for nasal mites as they irritate the back of the throat and this makes her want to eat anything and can cause blockage and scrapes all through her system. Had blood tests and xrays and nothing showed up.

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM, is a small animal internal medicine consultant for Phoenix Central Laboratory, an independent veterinary diagnostic laborat...More

Helpful Tips

Helping Hospice Patients Keep Their PetsExpert
Pets are an extremely important part of our lives. And this is especially true when we are at the end of our days. What could be more ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 46 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections