Includes Expert Content
My cat died suddenly
england2004 posted:
Went to St. Louis for a week and a friend took care of my two 17yr old cats while I was gone. She saw both girls doing well yesterday. When I got home today, one of my cats was lying next to what looked like vomit and feces sprawled out, face down in my bedroom floor. She has randomly had a bit of blood on her feces for the past couple of weeks and she was scheduled for the vet this Tuesday to find out what was going on. She had been using the restroom on the floor around my dining table and when I scoop their boxes, there was nothing to scoop out of hers. Can anyone shed some light? Or was she just old and her body gave out? One more detail, she is a maine coon mix and weighed 22lbs. When she was at the vet 6 months ago, vet said surprisingly she did not have diabetes, but she needed to lose 10lbs. Appetite was healthy and she drank plenty of water up until her very last day, which was sometime yesterday eve or this morning.

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Drew Weigner, DVM, ABVP responded:
The most common reason a cat will die suddenly is from heart disease, which is especially common in Maine Coons. Of course, there are any number of other possibilities which can only be determined by autopsy. We're so sorry to hear about the loss of your cat!

Drew Weigner, DVM, ABVP
The Cat Doctor
Board Certified in Feline Practice

england2004 replied to Drew Weigner, DVM, ABVP's response:
Thank you. She will be missed greatly! She had the most fun personality and thought she was half dog. lol