Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Joint MAX Triple Strength Soft Chews (240 Chews)
pontiy37 posted:
In September my 110lb doberman, ate a box of these chews. When we took him to the emergency clinic they didn't give him water and just put on IV, telling us that in the morning we could bring him home. My dog never came back home. I went back to amazon, to read reviews and found that another dog died from them earlier. I left my comment there, and since I have received two more comments from other users that their dogs died too. So in the short time there are 5 dogs died, and I am sure there is many more whose owners do not write. Vets seem completely unaware that glucosamine could cause liver failure. Why no study is done about it? Where do I need to write to stop selling of this product? Our dogs are in real danger.

rohvannyn responded:
I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your dog. I also think vets need to be aware of glucosamine toxicity.

However, many things are poisonous if you or your pet eat a lot of it. Many kinds of vitamins can be hazardous. Even products made for pets can be, and often are, dangerous or deadlly if taken in excess. Stick to the instructions on the box for guidelines, and if it's a vitamin or supplement, especially one that is designed like a treat, keep it well out of their reach just like you would with children's medications that are sweetened.

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Bernadine D. Cruz, DVM, is an associate veterinarian at Laguna Hills Animal Hospital, Laguna Hills, Calif. She specializes in companion animal medicin...More

Helpful Tips

How to Get Your Cat in a CarrierExpert
Trying to get your cat in a carrier for a trip to the veterinarians or road trip can be extremely frustrating. Some how a 10# cat that ... More
Was this Helpful?
19 of 26 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections