Includes Expert Content
female got out
sjalley posted:
My 1yr old female cat got out of the house today. I'm not sure how long she was outside but she was very panicked when she came in, and my neutered male hisses and bows up every time she gets near him( which is not like him at all). There are several male cats in our neighborhood. She hasn't had a heat cycle in a few months and I'm afraid she was "knocked up" and was wondering if there was a way of finding out b4 we are surprised with kittens.

rohvannyn responded:
Cat pregnancies are pretty fast, you should be able to feel them within just a few weeks. If non-nutered males have been at her, that would be a reason why your other cat is acting that way, he'd be reacting to their scent. You probably want to get her fixed before she gets out again. There are low cost or free clinics out there if you need help.

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Drew Weigner, DVM, ABVP responded:
While there are hormone tests that can be used to tell if she's pregnant, they're not very accurate. The best way to deal with this situation, unless you want kittens, is to get her spayed as soon as possible. Otherwise, this will continue to happen whenever she goes outside.

Drew Weigner, DVM, ABVP
The Cat Doctor
Board Certified in Feline Practice