Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
My cat is choking herself
jirtzz posted:
my cat will lay on her cat house, and drop her head way below the edge of the house. Eventually she starts to choke herself. after she coughs a few times she will do it again. eventually she will throw up, and sometime attempt to eat what she threw up. this is almost a daily thing... and yes, she is well feed..

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Drew Weigner, DVM, ABVP responded:
While this is very dramatic, it sounds like your cat may be trying to vomit a hairball. Most times, they just throw up food but occasionally they will vomit a tube-shaped wad of hair. These cats are eating well and acting otherwise normal. If that's the case, ask your veterinarian for a hairball laxative. If that's the problem, it should resolve after a few days of treatment. If not, something else is going on such as asthma, heartworms, etc. She'll need to see your veterinarian for further diagnosis.

Drew Weigner, DVM, ABVP
The Cat Doctor
Board Certified in Feline Practice

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Bernadine D. Cruz, DVM, is an associate veterinarian at Laguna Hills Animal Hospital, Laguna Hills, Calif. She specializes in companion animal medicin...More

Helpful Tips

to: Msapprehension
dogs eat their poop by nature. before dogs were "pets" they were wild and ran in packs. they ate their poop everyday for two reasons: 1 - ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections