Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
9 week old Kitten had blood in diarrhea
KingsleyB posted:
My family and I just got a new kitten from the humain society, and yesterday he started having diarrhea. I am feeding him Wellness Kitten Health dry food, & the shelter was giving him "whatever was donated". Tonight he had a small amount of bright red blood in his stool. He has been fixed and was dewormed. Also I took him to the vet today to get his 2nd shot. I told the vet about the diarrhea and he wasn't too worried just asked me to bring in a sample. I am very worried about him he is acting normal a little tired from the shot but that's to be expected. So is it just the food causing the blood? Anyone had anything like this happen?

rohvannyn responded:
If the vet isn't worried, I'd just watch him and judge by how he is acting. Lots of things can cause loose stool including stress and a change in diet. A little blood can happen sometimes because of a broken capillary in the colon or something similar, and doesn't have to be bad. It's something to watch though and continue questioning the vet about if it continues. Congrats on the kitten!

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Drew Weigner, DVM, ABVP responded:
While it sounds like your kitten is acting fine, diarrhea with red blood means something is causing irritation to his large intestine. Changing food can do this, but it resolves in 2-3 days. He may also have intestinal parasites, even if he's been dewormed. This is easy to test for a with a fresh stool sample obtained in your veterinarian's office (older samples are less accurate.) If his symptoms have not resolved by now, ask your veterinarian to do this. While there are many other possible causes, these are the most likely.

Drew Weigner, DVM, ABVP
The Cat Doctor
Board Certified in Feline Practice

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Bernadine D. Cruz, DVM, is an associate veterinarian at Laguna Hills Animal Hospital, Laguna Hills, Calif. She specializes in companion animal medicin...More

Helpful Tips

milk in nursing dogs
My chihuahua had 6 puppies on April 22nd and now seems to be running out of milk. Two of the six are not gaining weight and will not take ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections