Skip to content
Urinary issues
zigzag167 posted:
I have a female sheherd mix that is approx 8 or 9 yrs old, has never had puppies, and was fixed at the shelter before I got her. I've had her since she was a pup ( one vet said she was approx 3 mos old when I got her, another said she was probably 6 or 8 mos old). Anyways, the problem is she has issues peeing. For the last year or so, when she goes outside to pee, she squats for a long time, Sometimes she pees a lot, sometimes she pees a little, but she will squat for a long time. She will then get up, walk a few feet and squat again. She does this the whole time she is outside. When she is in the house, every time she gets up, she leaves a puddle. Her kennel is soaked in the morning, so I have to line it with waterproof liners. I have taken her to my local vet several times for this issue, but all he does is feel her tummy, says he doesn't feel anything and puts her on medication that does nothing for her. I have asked him if it might be kidney stones, bladder infection, UTI, ect, and I just get told " I'm not sure, try these pills." I think she is too young to be having these issues & am so frustrated with not being able to find out what is going on with her & paying large vet bills for no results. Does any one have any idea what might be going on & what I can do to help her? We don't have many vets around me, so my choices are very limited. I would appreciate any help/advice I can get.
Lindentrees responded:
Your dog needs a urinalysis and urine culture taken by a sterile technique involving cystocentesis... This is the minimum for diagnosis and appropriate therapy good luck


William Draper, DVM, better known as "Dr. Will," is a well-known small animal practitioner in the Atlanta, GA area. He grew up in Inglewood,...More

Helpful Tips

Helping Hospice Patients Keep Their PetsExpert
Pets are an extremely important part of our lives. And this is especially true when we are at the end of our days. What could be more ... More
Was this Helpful?
35 of 47 found this helpful

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections