Skip to content

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
cause of death in cat
shellgg posted:
Hi,
Last week my parents 3 year old torti was found deceased on the side of my friends house. It was sudden. She didn't show any signs of being ill. She was rescued at 10 days old in the back of a very hot pickup truck. She was always pretty tiny, about 7 lbs. Her temperament was horrible. She hissed and growled like a mountain lion, but really was happy outside chasing squirrels.
I researched sudden death in cats, and I realize it is not possible to know without an examination. So I'm just looking for opinions.
She did not appear injured and there was no blood coming from her nose, ears, or eyes. She was just laying on her side with her eyes open.
I believe my mom treated her with a combo flea/heartworm medicine so I do not think it was heartworms. She was up to date on her shots including felileukemia.
If she was injured (such as falling off the roof) or poisoned, wouldn't she have been foaming at the mouth or blood coming out somewhere?
My best guess is cardiomyopathy. Could that have been why her temperament was so bad?
Thank you so much.

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Drew Weigner, DVM, ABVP responded:
We're so sorry on the loss of your parent's cat. Losing one so young and so suddenly is always difficult. Since you've researched sudden death in cats, you know that cardiomyopathy (a disease of the heart muscle) is a common cause. But in outside cats, trauma is also a strong possibility, even with no signs of external injury. Of course, only an autopsy can truly determine the cause. Cardiomyopathy doesn't usually affect a cat's personality, however.

Drew Weigner, DVM, ABVP
The Cat Doctor
Board Certified in Feline Practice

shellgg replied to Drew Weigner, DVM, ABVP's response:
Thank you Dr. Weigner!
Is there usually blood coming out the mouth or nose when trauma is the cause?

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Drew Weigner, DVM, ABVP replied to shellgg's response:
Not necessarily. That just means there was blood or fluid in the lungs. If the trauma was elsewhere, you won't see this.

Drew Weigner, DVM, ABVP
The Cat Doctor
Board Certified in Feline Practice

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Bernadine D. Cruz, DVM, is an associate veterinarian at Laguna Hills Animal Hospital, Laguna Hills, Calif. She specializes in companion animal medicin...More

Helpful Tips

Just feed them ?
I caught my dog frantically licking the floor in the middle of the night last night. I took her outside and she started eating dry leaves ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections