Includes Expert Content
Cat w/swollen salivary gland or lymphnode
EmilyD70 posted:
Found a lump under my cat's jaw at the end of December. Right away, I noticed her collar's buckle was tight right where this lump was, so took it off. Noticed it went down a little bit. It moves around under your fingers and reminds me of the lipoma that my dog has.

2 weeks ago, took her to the vet where I was told it could be a swollen lymph node or swollen salivary gland. She's been on antobiotics every day and it has gone down a bit but still there.

Could she have a needle aspiration?

The vet said if it doesn't go away that they would want to put her under and take a biopsy and quoted me over $400.

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Drew Weigner, DVM, ABVP responded:
Yes, and if it doesn't go away, that's a good option. While a biopsy is most accurate, it requires anesthesia and surgery, and is also more expensive. A simple "fine needle aspirate cytology" is almost as accurate as a biopsy and usually doesn't require anesthesia or even sedation in most cats. It should at least tell you if it's a salivary gland or a lymph node, and can usually tell you what's going on. But if they can't tell ("nondiagnostic") then a biopsy is needed. Fortunately, that doesn't happen often but if it does, it's important to do a biopsy to get a diagnosis.

Drew Weigner, DVM, ABVP
The Cat Doctor
Board Certified in Feline Practice