Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Is it time to put my dog down?
graydopp posted:
We have a fifteen year old dalmatian. She has osteoarthritis and has gone downhill fast. She has been diagnosed with it in her spine and she has lost function of her legs as well as her bowels. We have to carry her everywhere as the steroids only help temporarily. Our vet has told us it's time to put her down but we just want to be sure that that is the right decision and if we truly are out of options.

graydopp responded:
Anyone?

shellgg responded:
I'm so sorry you are faced with this decision. From what you have described, it does sound like it is time to let her go. You have to decide if her quality of life is still good. If she has lost so many functioins, it is probably time.

graydopp responded:
Thank you for answering. I think you are right. We talked to another vet and he agreed. She has very little quality of life right now. I guess it's time. It's going to be so hard but I keep telling myself it's part of having a dog.

shellgg replied to graydopp's response:
Yes, its very hard. To me, loosing a pet is one of the hardest things to go through. I don't know what you believe, but I know in my heart that we will see them again. Until than, they are very happy in heaven. I just lost our, almost three year old cat, suddenly. And the cause is unknown. While it was really hard for a good week and a half, we are finally feeling normal again. You will too, it will just be hard at first.

mauilovecats responded:
It certainly sounds like you don't want to put your dog thru any more discomfort . The quality of your dogs life is most important. If your dog needs you to provide his basic functions of life, it is time. He has been a wonderful companion and now its your responsibility to do what is best for him. It is the hardest thing to let go, but it is the merciful thing for him.

graydopp replied to mauilovecats's response:
Thank you all for your replies. You gave me some very good advice. We did end up putting her down last week and you are right. It was one of the hardest things I think I will ever do. She was starting to refuse water and dog food so I knew I needed to do something before her body started shutting down. I know it was the right thing to do but I miss her so very much!

graydopp replied to shellgg's response:
Sorry about your loss of your cat. I do know what you're feeling. Big hugs and prayers.

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Bernadine D. Cruz, DVM, is an associate veterinarian at Laguna Hills Animal Hospital, Laguna Hills, Calif. She specializes in companion animal medicin...More

Helpful Tips

milk in nursing dogs
My chihuahua had 6 puppies on April 22nd and now seems to be running out of milk. Two of the six are not gaining weight and will not take ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections