Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Includes Expert Content
    tumors of lung and spleen in schnauzer
    An_250854 posted:
    My 11 year old schnauzer was diagnosed yesterday with tumors of lung and spleen. Her only symptoms were general malaise, lack of "peppiness" and relunctance to jump up or down off couch, bed,etc. Vet says she proabably has "months" and gave her steroid shot yesterday, anti-inflammatories for discomfort now. Is there anything else to be done short of all out surgery, etc? AS a nurse, i am aware of what we do for people. Never had a dog with tumors before. Am thinking the lung is probably metastatic? Read about an anti-cancer food? Please advise-love my pooch!
    Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM responded:
    Hello there.

    How were the tumous diagnosed? Radiographs? Was any blood work done? Lymphosarcoma is a type of tumor that affects the spleen, but not the lungs; however it is an example of one that we do not do surgery on. And yes, most often the lung tumors are metastatic.
    Sounds like you have some additional questions regarding the diagnosis. Ultrasound and perhaps aspirate of the spleen, lung aspirates can be done as well, after general blood work would help to confirm the diagnosis, tell you what type of cancer, and then perhaps you just continue on with the prednisone...or consider chemotherapy. There are so many advances we have made in diagnosing and treating cancer in pets, much through our veterinary oncologists. I would mention to your veterinarian that you want more information regarding your dog's diagnosis so you can make the best decisions regarding their treatment, comfort, etc. You can also ask for a referral to an oncologist if that is not offered.

    My best to you,

    Dr Sandy

    Helpful Tips

    I think I finally have an answer for my grass eating Sadie!
    I have a Bloodhound/Lab mix, she is about four years old now, for the last two years she has been doing this same thing and I am so happy ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 2 found this helpful

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    Learn more about the AVMA

    WebMD Special Sections