Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
tumors of lung and spleen in schnauzer
An_250854 posted:
My 11 year old schnauzer was diagnosed yesterday with tumors of lung and spleen. Her only symptoms were general malaise, lack of "peppiness" and relunctance to jump up or down off couch, bed,etc. Vet says she proabably has "months" and gave her steroid shot yesterday, anti-inflammatories for discomfort now. Is there anything else to be done short of all out surgery, etc? AS a nurse, i am aware of what we do for people. Never had a dog with tumors before. Am thinking the lung is probably metastatic? Read about an anti-cancer food? Please advise-love my pooch!

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM responded:
Hello there.

How were the tumous diagnosed? Radiographs? Was any blood work done? Lymphosarcoma is a type of tumor that affects the spleen, but not the lungs; however it is an example of one that we do not do surgery on. And yes, most often the lung tumors are metastatic.
Sounds like you have some additional questions regarding the diagnosis. Ultrasound and perhaps aspirate of the spleen, lung aspirates can be done as well, after general blood work would help to confirm the diagnosis, tell you what type of cancer, and then perhaps you just continue on with the prednisone...or consider chemotherapy. There are so many advances we have made in diagnosing and treating cancer in pets, much through our veterinary oncologists. I would mention to your veterinarian that you want more information regarding your dog's diagnosis so you can make the best decisions regarding their treatment, comfort, etc. You can also ask for a referral to an oncologist if that is not offered.

My best to you,

Dr Sandy

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Bernadine D. Cruz, DVM, is an associate veterinarian at Laguna Hills Animal Hospital, Laguna Hills, Calif. She specializes in companion animal medicin...More

Helpful Tips

Helping Hospice Patients Keep Their PetsExpert
Pets are an extremely important part of our lives. And this is especially true when we are at the end of our days. What could be more ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 46 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections