Skip to content

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
Dog without tongue! HELP!
jacob_j3 posted:
Hi,
My 8 years old dog (golden retriver) has melanoma... She had few big tumors on her tongue and we had to amputate her whole tongue and we did it last Friday. Her vet said she'd learn to live without it but I am very worried about her cause there is a very big problem with feeding and drinking. I wonder have you ever heard about case like this and I am begging you about help (how to feed her and what can i do to learn her to live without tongue)

Thank you for help.

Jacob

PS.

I know there are vaccines in France which inhibit the progress of the disease. What do you think about them in her case?

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM responded:
Depending on how much of the tongue was amputated, sometimes it takes awhile for a dog to learn to eat and drink again. Soft food to lap up and of course water should be provided. Sometimes tossing a canned food meat ball to the dog, start small, do that they can simply chew and swallow will help. In some cases, we may need to do some tube feeding until the pet learns how to eat and drink without a tongue.

Please let your veterinarian know of your concerns and let them also provide suggestions.

There is a melanoma vaccination available in the US, by our veterinary oncologists. I would mention your interest to your veterinarian and see if they could refer you to an oncologist in your community. At least then you would know your options, and and the costs involved. The vaccinate seems to be a good approach to prevent metastasis. You seem very interested in the best for your dog and are asking very good questions, so please also get back to your veterinarian.

My best wishes,

Dr. Sandy

rohvannyn replied to Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM's response:
I'm wondering of the mechanics of a dog being able to eat without a tongue. Everything they do seems to revolve around having one. The food ball idea makes sense, but how would they drink?

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM, is a small animal internal medicine consultant for Phoenix Central Laboratory, an independent veterinary diagnostic laborat...More

Helpful Tips

Helping Hospice Patients Keep Their PetsExpert
Pets are an extremely important part of our lives. And this is especially true when we are at the end of our days. What could be more ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 46 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections