Skip to content

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Strong Smell in Dog's Urine
CRS15 posted:
I recently adopted a 7 year old neutered male Italian greyhound. He joins my 8 year old female miniature dachshund. I have noticed that the Italian greyhound's urine smells much stronger than the dachshund's. It has a very strong ammonia smell. He isn't entirely house trained, so the smell has become very apparent. I have never owned a male dog before and I wonder if it is normal for a male dog to have strong smelling urine. Is this something that needs to be checked out by a vet, and is there anything that can be done to help this problem?

rohvannyn responded:
Is he drinking enough water? That can have a large effect. So can diet. Of course, a vet visit, if possible, might be a good idea. Some dogs do have strong smelling urine but it's best to check.

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM, is a small animal internal medicine consultant for Phoenix Central Laboratory, an independent veterinary diagnostic laborat...More

Helpful Tips

Excellent website for information on parasites in dogs and catsExpert
I just conducted a seminar and hands-on demonstration on diagnosis of fecal parasites to veterinarians and technicians. An excellent ... More
Was this Helpful?
33 of 47 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections