Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Surgical aftermath
An_251069 posted:
My dog suffered a broken bone as a puppy (before we got him) and a pin was placed in his leg. Our vet told me he would not take it out, but leave it in for the lifetime of the dog. The dog sometimes gets too enthusiastic running up and down our front porch steps and injures the leg a little, whereupon he will limp for a few days, then he's fine.

Yesterday, I noticed he was limping more than usual, but it only lasted a few hours. Today, while I was stroking him, I found a long needle like thing sticking out of his leg. I pulled it out (it didn't seem to bother the dog at all) and it appeared to be a metal pin. I thought maybe the dog had played near one of my husband's tools and embedded a piece of it in his leg. The dog has been fine ever since I pulled this pin out. I did use an antiseptic on his leg and dried it. He has been playing, eating and acting normally.

It occurred to me later: could this be the pin that was in his leg from his earlier operation? It is a very thin pin, a little serrated and with semi-sharp points, like a dull needle. Could this pin have worked its way out somehow? Should I see the vet on Monday? The dog was born in October 2010 and the surgery probably would have taken place in January or February 2011. We adopted him in April 2011.

MelodyFender responded:
I didn't mention that the dog is an Aussie Shepherd. He was supposed to be miniature but at 40 lbs. surpasses that.

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM, is a small animal internal medicine consultant for Phoenix Central Laboratory, an independent veterinary diagnostic laborat...More

Helpful Tips

Helping Hospice Patients Keep Their PetsExpert
Pets are an extremely important part of our lives. And this is especially true when we are at the end of our days. What could be more ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 46 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections