Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Dry nose, or sunburn?
sgish04 posted:
I have a three-year-old yellow lab mix that's had quite a few problems lately, so I'll try to be short and to the point:

- Last summer he burned the tip of his nose while sniffing the grill; this eventually developed into an infection that we treated with antibiotics. The infection is gone, but ever since then it's almost as if the pigment hasn't been able to "regenerate." His nose is pink and smooth and does not have that "pebbly" texture to it. For the past several months we've attributed it to chapped nose due to dry and cold weather, but Vaseline and/or nose butter is not helping. I've even tried to squirt liquid Vitamin E on his nose. No change.

- A month ago he had a grand mal seizure that lasted for about 4 minutes. After an overnight vet visit and blood work, it was concluded that he ate something nasty that upset his liver. This hasn't occurred again but I stopped giving him the Vitamin E. The unusual thing about this, however, is that after a 24-hour watch in the clinic (he was hooked up to an IV and monitored), his nose had gone completely back to normal when I picked him up. It even had the "pebbly" look to it and while it was still pink, it wasn't peeling. I started to wonder if his nose was chapped because of dehydration?

- He's back at home now but his nose is back to the way it was - cracking and peeling and sometimes bleeding. We try to keep him out of the sun because we know it'll just make things worse, but I have no idea what else I can do. Could it be our drinking water? Do we need to start applying sunscreen? I'm not even sure if this is due to the sun. Every time I ask the vet about his nose I'm just told to apply Vaseline, but I can't seem to get his nose to "heal."

Any thoughts?

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM, is a small animal internal medicine consultant for Phoenix Central Laboratory, an independent veterinary diagnostic laborat...More

Helpful Tips

milk in nursing dogs
My chihuahua had 6 puppies on April 22nd and now seems to be running out of milk. Two of the six are not gaining weight and will not take ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections