Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
How do I adjust my dog to a new puppy?
LeslieJo posted:
Sadie is a 11 month old Husky/Golden Retriever. She's spoiled rotten and loves her dad (my boyfriend, Shawn) and I. We play with her all the time and she's our little princess. However, yesterday we decided to get a new puppy. Frank is an 8 week old Purebred Blue Tick Hound. Sadie isn't very fond of him and I figured that it would take a few days for her to adjust but Shawn is a little more weary toward the situation. Frank is a nibbler and Sadie growls at him when she disapproves of something he does. I'm not sure how to get them to adjust to each other.We picked Frank up on a farm and let Sadie sniff around him and they rode in the car for awhile together and played in a dog park with other dogs, other than that Frank slept all day yesterday. Sadie is starting to lose her "puppy-ness"... but I don't want her to feel like we don't love her anymore just because she has a little brother now. I know paying attention to Sadie is a given and keeping them separated for awhile is good, but I wanted to know if there was a estimated time of adjustment or any tips that would help them warm up to each other soon! Thanks!

rohvannyn responded:
Let Sadie know she is still boss dog. Give her attention first, feed her first. Though they should definitely be watched when they are together, her growling could just be her setting limits and once the puppy understands them they may get along better. You can also rub the puppy with something that smells strongly of you, so your other dog knows he belongs to the family. Enjoy the pup!

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

William Draper, DVM, better known as "Dr. Will," is a well-known small animal practitioner in the Atlanta, GA area. He grew up in Inglewood,...More

Helpful Tips

Helping Hospice Patients Keep Their PetsExpert
Pets are an extremely important part of our lives. And this is especially true when we are at the end of our days. What could be more ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 46 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections