Dog has bad Cough
Exit14 posted:
I adopted a male 10 (approximate) year old dog -American Eskimo mix in December 2012. He had a gagging cough right from the 1st day we had him. Without extensive testing he was 1st diagnosed with Kennel Cough and treated with antibiotics. He continued to cough so KC was ruled out. His vet took xrays and noted a slight heart enlargement. An ultrasound was done on his heart and mild heart disease was noted -no medication was needed at this stage. A collapsing trachea was also ruled out.
He is not overweight. I'm not sure what he was eating before we got him but he now eats homemade (chicken, rice, veg with a daily vitamin and glucosamine) 2 meals p/day.
He was put on 7 days of prednisone and he continued coughing -no change. He is now on Hydrocodone 2 x p/day and continues to cough night/day -although the cough seems to let up just a little for about 2 hours after taking the hydrocodone. I have also tried giving him a little honey which does nothing.
He has these coughing fits several times p/day & night -although once he is asleep he can go several hours without coughing.
He looks strained when he is coughing -he puts his whole body into it. Most of the time It sounds like he is left gasping for air. His appetite is excellent and he has plenty of energy. Running and playing does change the frequency of the coughing -actually he coughs more when he is not running around. I don't think it's enviromental -he was the same day we got him home. The house is very clean and not dusty.
We are at a loss....and I think our vet is too.
The vet bills are piling up and we still don't have a solution. What else could be causing the cough?

rohvannyn responded:
If it's not parasites, perhaps an allergy to something? That kind of thing can be a bit hard to track down, though. Good luck to you, and thank you for rescuing.