Skip to content

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Thyroid in Dogs
Rmagoon posted:
Hi, I have a 8 year old Lab and he was diagnosed with Thyroid when he was 4 years old. He has been taking Thyroxine ever since then. His dosage is 1 tablet every morning and the strength is 100mg. The issue I am having is that despite him being on medication he has been gaining weight and weighs 49 Kilos now. His vet has asked me to stop his medication for a 3 week period so she can do full tests again. Do you recommend that I stop medication for 3 weeks.

rohvannyn responded:
I'm guessing you mean 100 mcg, rather than mg, if he is on levothyroxine... if your vet says to keep him off it for 3 weeks then I'd trust the vet. I know that levels need to be tested periodically because synthetic thyroid hormone needs can change and often needs to be adjusted. If he is getting too much or too little, it can cause the problems you describe, and more. I know people need their thyroid hormone levels checked quite frequently whether they have hyperthyroidism or hypothyroidism, so it must be the same for dogs.

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Bernadine D. Cruz, DVM, is an associate veterinarian at Laguna Hills Animal Hospital, Laguna Hills, Calif. She specializes in companion animal medicin...More

Helpful Tips

Just feed them ?
I caught my dog frantically licking the floor in the middle of the night last night. I took her outside and she started eating dry leaves ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections