Loud crying
vinogirl74 posted:
I have a 15 year old shepherd mix who can not stand up by himself anymore. But once he gets help getting up, he can somewhat walk alone, but does need assistance because he will fall. I had a vet come to the house and give him a complete check up and blood work. All is great with his health. My issue is he doesn't realize that he can not move around on his own like he used to. He has now started to cry and whine so loudly at all times of the day and night. And this can last for a while. It breaks my heart. I know that he is frustrated. What can I give him to calm him down and help him sleep? Basically keep him calm day and night. Please help! (Putting him down is not an option)

rohvannyn responded:
Sorry to hear about your dog. It's always so hard when they get old. It's important to figure out for sure what is causing his crying. It could be frustration or confusion, or it could be unmanaged pain. That said, I've seen people give dogs a low dose of Benadryl (or its generic) to calm them and help them sleep. Works the same as it does in people, but talk to the vet about it if you have one. You can get a bottle of 30 at the dollar store. If you go with that route, try a half tablet first to see how he does.

vinogirl74 replied to rohvannyn's response:
Thank you so much for your help! He is actually on a low dosage of Benadryl for his allergies. I do agree with you that he is frustrated because he can't do the things he used to do. I believe he suffers from cognitive dysfunction. The vet gave us some meds that's supposed to help but it doesn't.