Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
aggressive dog - scared
canavesiocarver posted:
I have a 3 year old dog (Doxie terrior mix). He has become very aggressive and attacked me the other night. He bit my hand over and over, which needed care from a doctor. Recently we have brought home a new puppy. We have slowly introduced them and done everything the books have said to do. Unfortunatly my dog Andres is not having it. He is getting so aggressive with everyone including the new dog. Andres has never been mean. I am getting very afraid of my baby/dog. My dog Andres was abandoned on my street that is how we got him. I can tell he was abused when he was a puppy - can this be why he is so mean to the new puppy? Maybe he just does not know how to act because he was separated from his family when he was young? He has not been neutered. Maybe this is why he is being so aggressive. Please help - my family is scared.

Ponyrun69 responded:
In my experiences with my own dogs it seems to me that at about the age of 2 1/2 to 3 years old my dogs start to "test" their place in the family. Sometimes it manifests itself as bad behavior, pushiness, and aggression... my advice, as a fellow pet owner, would be to get both dogs neutered and after about a week or two after the surgery (when the hormones level off) reintroduce the dogs to each other... You don't say what was going on when you got bit... biting is usually a last resort for the dog so it is possible you missed his warning signs... at the first sign of aggression/bad behavior it must be addressed... if you haven't tried obedience training it might be worth looking into... not only will it help you to gain the dog's respect but also give you another resource to address any problems....

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM, is a small animal internal medicine consultant for Phoenix Central Laboratory, an independent veterinary diagnostic laborat...More

Helpful Tips

How to Get Your Cat in a CarrierExpert
Trying to get your cat in a carrier for a trip to the veterinarians or road trip can be extremely frustrating. Some how a 10# cat that ... More
Was this Helpful?
19 of 26 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections