Skip to content

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Gaining my puppy's respect
Ponyrun69 posted:
I have a nearly 3 year old Lab/Coonhound(?) mix... she was spayed at about 6 months of age.... I have had her since she was about 5 months old (I was her third home).... The first thing I noticed about her was that she was very pushy... her first morning with me, as I was getting her her breakfast she would get in front of me, barking at me, as if telling me I was moving too slowly for her... then one morning she got behind me and actually nipped the back of my thigh to get me to move faster... I solved that problem by switching the feeding order (I have two 8 year old brother/sister mix breeds)... once I started feeding the puppy last instead of first she got less pushy about it... My biggest problem with her now is that, while she would NEVER consider eating from the other two dogs' bowls she has no problem eating from my plate while I'm trying to eat... she ranges from laying her head on the tray table next to my plate all the way to actually licking my food.... my other dogs learned early of my "3 foot rule" which basically means they give me at least 3 feet of space between them and my food... the older dogs really could care less if I eat in front of them... short of locking the puppy in another room she hasn't learned the rule... pushing her away does absolutely no good as she comes right back.... any other suggestions on how to gain her respect ?

rohvannyn responded:
Taking an obedience training class with her could help. They will teach you how to be dominant, and her how to be obediant. This worked quite well with my mom (who is rather submissive as a person) and her pushy australian cattle dog. Don't let the pup push you around in any way, stand your ground, you are the boss.

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

William Draper, DVM, better known as "Dr. Will," is a well-known small animal practitioner in the Atlanta, GA area. He grew up in Inglewood,...More

Helpful Tips

Excellent website for information on parasites in dogs and catsExpert
I just conducted a seminar and hands-on demonstration on diagnosis of fecal parasites to veterinarians and technicians. An excellent ... More
Was this Helpful?
33 of 47 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections