Skip to content

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
Stage V Lymphoma
NikkiB2U posted:
My dog is in stage V lymphoma, chemo is not an option for her, she's being treated with hospice. I'm wondering if anyone can please tell me what to expect from here on out. I know she doesn't have much time left, but I really want to know what to watch for and how to know when enough is enough. We've noticed a lot of strange things the last 2 days and I'm scared for her. She has trouble breathing at night, she has what sounds like a wet rattle and she whimpers a little in her sleep. She also has had 2 times now when it seemed like her jaw was locking. We've also noticed a few drops of blood on he floor which could have been from her, but we don't know for sure, we also have 3 other dogs so I can't say it's her for sure, but none of the others have any wounds.

Anyway, please someone help me out here, it's killing me to think she may be suffering.

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM responded:
Hello there,

Sorry to hear about your doggie. Stage V lymphoma means that the bone marrow is involved with the lymphoid cancer. Did you veterinarin prescribe any medications such as prednisone. Steroids are part of a chemotherapy protocol. By themselves they don't work as well as chemotherapy but they may help and make your doggie feel better. Sometimes the white cells are low with bone marrow disease, so we would want to know this before starting any therpay; if low enough antibiotics would be considered.
I am not sure about the blood, unless she had other problems with low cell counts like platelets due to her cancer. With lymphosarcoma, and many other diseases, they tend to start feeling badly. They are weak, don't eat well, sleep alot, may grown in their sleep. If there were tumors in her chest, she could have trouble breathing. Depending on her blood counts, she could bleed as I mentioned, be prone to infections, or weak from anemia. These are great questions to ask and I would also contact your family veterinarian. Most owners have a sense when their pets are truly suffering.There is not a magical sign, just when they have more good moments than bad consistently. Hope this is helpful. Dr. Sandy Willis

NikkiB2U replied to Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM's response:
Thank you for your reply and I'm sorry I'm just now responding. Just a few days after I posted Jessie took a major turn for the worse, she was having some minor bleeding out, loss of bladder control, no appetite and became very listless with heavy panting and a lot of crying. We had upped her doses of pain meds and Prendisone, but it became obvious very quickly that they weren't much help. Sadly we had to have her euthanized. I couldn't bare to see her in so much pain anymore.

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM, is a small animal internal medicine consultant for Phoenix Central Laboratory, an independent veterinary diagnostic laborat...More

Helpful Tips

Excellent website for information on parasites in dogs and catsExpert
I just conducted a seminar and hands-on demonstration on diagnosis of fecal parasites to veterinarians and technicians. An excellent ... More
Was this Helpful?
33 of 47 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections