Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
My Dog Suddenly Died
leeg1964 posted:
My Goldendoodle was 7 1/2 yrs old active and I thought healthy until 2 days ago when out of know where he threw up and then died a few hours later. I am trying to understand how this could happen with no warning. He was with me all day and didn't eat anything but his dog food. I was in complete shock and still am.
He was everybody's friend in the neighborhood and was an absolute amazing dog! I just want to know what could have happen. It hurts so much and I can't begin to explain the feeling of loss.
If anyone has heard of anything like this I would appreciate your response.

rohvannyn responded:
I wonder if it was a stroke or something similar? That can happen out of nowhere. I'm sorry for your loss.

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM responded:
I too am sorry. It is so hard when a beloved pet dies so suddenly.
This doesn't happen often. True heart disease or a stroke could happen very fast, but sometimes cancers, which should have a long period of signs, can cause death very quickly. Torsions of the stomach and intestines can be acute and devastating. Some pets have disease for a long time before they show signs, that is why we love having animals of all ages, particularly older pets, come in for at least yearly physical exams and blood work to perhaps identify disease earlyon. But that doesn't always work either.
Please take time to mourn and miss your Golderndoodle. The age of 7 is a golden year but still not long enough.
Dr. Sandy Willis

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

William Draper, DVM, better known as "Dr. Will," is a well-known small animal practitioner in the Atlanta, GA area. He grew up in Inglewood,...More

Helpful Tips

Excellent website for information on parasites in dogs and catsExpert
I just conducted a seminar and hands-on demonstration on diagnosis of fecal parasites to veterinarians and technicians. An excellent ... More
Was this Helpful?
33 of 47 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections