Skip to content

Announcements

Exciting News for WebMD Members!

We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

What Do You Need to Do?

The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

Includes Expert Content
    favoring his paw
    An_251895 posted:
    My thirteen year old miniature poodle is exhibiting some weird behavior One minute he is walking fine. The next he is hoping while holding up his right front paw. He is otherwise not showing any evidence of pain. He is jumping on the chair and off etc I hate to go to the vet for unnecessary test but on the other hand how does a dog tell you enough to know it is not necessary

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
    Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM responded:
    Hello there,

Dogs and cats tell us if something is significant and they need to be looked at by their veterinarian if the problem continues, more than a day or so depending on the problem. Some obviously need immediate attention like seizures, collapse, bleeding, etc.
    I am not sure given your history if there is something painful in the paw itself, if there is a joint or bone problem, or a nerve problem. Can you take a peek at the foot and make sure it isn't something hidden there?Sometimes pain in the foreleg can be due to a back or neck problem and your veterinarian can help determine that.
    If it continues, a good physical examination by your veterinarian is the first place to start so we can find out the problem and limit the amount of discomfort your little poodle is feeling.

Helpful Tips

Excellent website for information on parasites in dogs and catsExpert
    I just conducted a seminar and hands-on demonstration on diagnosis of fecal parasites to veterinarians and technicians. An excellent ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    33 of 48 found this helpful

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections