Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
kitten with blood in stool
GrizleeB posted:
My 12 w/o kitten is showing blood in his stool today. I found him abandoned two weeks ago. He's been to the vet and stool sample was fine then. He's had his first shot and was given deworming medicine. I'm concerned for him, but I'm also concerned for my 13 y/o cat. Is worry in order? I know the kitten has been eating voraciously- even the dog food, which I've been trying to keep from him.

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM responded:
Hi there,

If you are seeing blood (as in red blood) that may be coming from the lower bowel or colon rather than the upper bowel and stomach. Is there any diarrhea?
Sounds like your veterinarian is getting him on the path to good health with vaccinations, deworming and a stool sample. The sample should have picked up any parasites, but is not 100%. the deworming should cover most infectious problems.
The key to more diagnostics, there is a pesky little parasite called tritrichomonas that can cause kitten diarrhea and blood, but the key is diarrhea. If there is none, I would consider limiting your kitten to good quality kitten food and monitoring it. Continuation of the blood is not a bad sign but I would speak with your veterinarian again for their recommendations.
Speak also to your veterinarian regarding your older cat. I just rrecently adopted a new cat to hang out with my older cat. Besides making sure she was healthy, I had her checked for the less common viral diseases these days FeLV and FIV. They do not directly cause bloody diarrhea.
Again, your kitten may be fine perhaps with a limitation in diets but it might be nice to check in again with your veterinarian.
Dr. Sandy

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Bernadine D. Cruz, DVM, is an associate veterinarian at Laguna Hills Animal Hospital, Laguna Hills, Calif. She specializes in companion animal medicin...More

Helpful Tips

Excellent website for information on parasites in dogs and catsExpert
I just conducted a seminar and hands-on demonstration on diagnosis of fecal parasites to veterinarians and technicians. An excellent ... More
Was this Helpful?
33 of 47 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections