Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
loosing sleep
joysen posted:
I have a rat terrier(I think)and she is about a year old.She gets me up literaly twice every night to put her outside,this has been going on for months now,before that,she would mess on my floor,I spanked her,now she wakes me up,should I change her food or something?please help .thank you

rohvannyn responded:
Sounds like she's having trouble waiting through the night. Does she eat and drink a lot? You may want to tinker with her feeding times. She could also have a medical problem that causes urgency. I imagine she is waking you up because she needs to go out, probably better than making a mess on the floor but still a pain if you are trying to sleep. Can she wait more than a few hours during a day? If she is just the kind of dog who can't wait very long, or needs to go out frequently, you could get one of those dog litter boxes. Good luck with everything.

joysen replied to rohvannyn's response:
Thank you for responding.Well during the day she sometimes wants out frequently,and sometimes shes ok for hours but this is every night.What kind of medical problem could it be?Funny..I was thinking about a litter box.Anyway thanks for your help.

rohvannyn replied to joysen's response:
If she needs out all the time to pee, and voids a little bit every time, it could be a urinary tract infection. If she needs out to pee a lot and voids a lot every time, it could even be something like diabetes or something else that causes her to drink a lot. If she needs to defacate frequently and it is solid, maybe she's eating too much or at the wrong times. If it's loose, it could be her food, parasites, irritable bowel syndrome, or a whole host of other things. Sometimes dogs and people need to go a lot because of urgency based on anxiety, there are so many things it could be. To add to the confusion, it could be behavioral!

Has she always been this way or is it new?

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

William Draper, DVM, better known as "Dr. Will," is a well-known small animal practitioner in the Atlanta, GA area. He grew up in Inglewood,...More

Helpful Tips

to: Msapprehension
dogs eat their poop by nature. before dogs were "pets" they were wild and ran in packs. they ate their poop everyday for two reasons: 1 - ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections