Skip to content

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
Strange Behavior In Young Cat
SkyeTallarita88 posted:
My cat, Emma, started doing some weird things last night and I wanted to know if anyone had some idea of what it might be.

She was in the living room with me last night while I was folding laundry and she laid down on the dryer sheet that had fallen on the floor and started to roll all over it. Then she proceeded to meow like she was in pain and had her rear raised up and her face closer to the ground. I inspected her area and didn't see anything. She started doing it again a few minutes ago (the rolling and then crying) and then attacked our other cat, Cooper. I have never seen her act like this. There isn't anything that she could've gotten into or eaten that would be out of the norm for either one of them.

Please Help

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Drew Weigner, DVM, ABVP responded:
If Emma is about six months of age or older and has not been spayed, she's probably in heat. Rolling on the floor, vocalizing, and putting her tail and rear end up in the air are typical signs of a cat in heat. You won't usually see any discharge from her vulva. Unless you want more kittens soon, you should get her spayed right away. In the meantime, don't let her out, even for a minute. And let's hope Cooper is neutered!

Drew Weigner, DVM, ABVP
The Cat Doctor
Board Certified in Feline Practice

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

William Draper, DVM, better known as "Dr. Will," is a well-known small animal practitioner in the Atlanta, GA area. He grew up in Inglewood,...More

Helpful Tips

Helping Hospice Patients Keep Their PetsExpert
Pets are an extremely important part of our lives. And this is especially true when we are at the end of our days. What could be more ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 46 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections