Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
I want to know whats wrong with my cat
jacolantern posted:
For the past few months my cat has been eating toilet paper and then for the past month hes been peeing every where my mom changes the kitty litter every day and thats not helping he has never done this and i dont know why he would be doing this could he be sick? please help

rohvannyn responded:
He could have a urinary tract problem, such as crystals in his urine, which are causing pain and urgency. That's if he is just peeing. If he is not neutered and is actually spraying, he could be marking his territory. The former situation would need a vet visit to determine. You may or may not see blood in his urine. If it turns out to be urinary crystals, you will need to feed him a special diet such as c/d. I've found that Friskies Special Diet works pretty well for my cats, but each cat is different.

If it isn't marking behavior or crystals, it could be something about the position of the litter box, or the texture of it on his feet. Good luck with this. Also, once you determine the problem, get a good deoderizer (there are some enzymatic ones you can get fairly inexpensively) and that way he'll be less likely to return to his old peeing spots.

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Drew Weigner, DVM, ABVP responded:
Urinating outside the litterbox can be a medical or behavioral problem. You'll need to take your cat to your veterinarian to have a urinalysis run. If it's not normal, he likely has a medical issue such as a urinary tract infection, bladder stones, etc. and your veterinarian will know how to treat him. But if his urinalysis is normal, he probably has a behavioral issue. If so, you may need the services of a board certified animal behaviorist (your veterinarian will know who to use.) It may also help to use a synthetic pheromone diffuser as this often decreases this type of behavior. Not sure why he's playing with toilet paper, but many cats like to do this.

Drew Weigner, DVM, ABVP
The Cat Doctor
Board Certified in Feline Practice

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

William Draper, DVM, better known as "Dr. Will," is a well-known small animal practitioner in the Atlanta, GA area. He grew up in Inglewood,...More

Helpful Tips

milk in nursing dogs
My chihuahua had 6 puppies on April 22nd and now seems to be running out of milk. Two of the six are not gaining weight and will not take ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections