Skip to content


The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
19 1/2 year old cat
oliver4cat posted:
I have a 19 1/2 yr old cat who is not eating, having a hard time swollening, and is drooling. We have seen blood in some urine and our vet is on vacation. He is laying around and seems like he is a little ill. He wants to hide..need I say more
oliver4cat responded:
Is there anything I can do?
rohvannyn responded:
Could be tooth or mouth problems, or a whole host of other things. Blood in urine is a bad sign of course. If your normal vet isn't there, did they leave somebody behind to take emergency cases? Or is there an urgent care clinic available? His hiding is a pretty clear sign of problems also. Cats don't like to show weakness so they can be pretty badly off before they will show it. While you are finding him medical care, make sure he eats at least a little soft food and try to keep him hydrated.

Good luck with your cat. I hope he gets better.
Drew Weigner, DVM, ABVP responded:
Drooling and not eating are common signs of some type of oral lesion such as an abscessed tooth, oral ulcer, oral tumor, etc. Anything that causes nausea can also cause drooling. But the big problem is if he's not eating, he'll get dehydrated, regardless of the cause. So if you haven't taken your cat to a veterinarian by now, please do so! If your veterinarian is on vacation, call the office to see who they are referring their patients to. An alternative is to take him to your local emergency clinic, but please don't delay!

Drew Weigner, DVM, ABVP
The Cat Doctor
Board Certified in Feline Practice


Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM, is a small animal internal medicine consultant for Phoenix Central Laboratory, an independent veterinary diagnostic laborat...More

Helpful Tips

Financial Help With Vet Bills
Please look into the credit plan called Care Credit. No interest payments and it is easy to quailify for. It will take the sick feeling ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections