Skip to content

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Boston Terrier with low Platelets
BTKoby posted:
I have a boston terrier, he has allergies and went to the vet a few days ago for a gash. i noticed the gash (size of a quarter) Friday evening after work so i bandaged him up for the weekend since the vet is closed. come Monday when i removed the bandage the gash got a little bigger. the vet did blood work on him several times and it showed he has low red blood cells and low platelets. his blood was sent out for further testing because he did not show symptoms of having low platelets or red blood cells (after blood was drawn from him twice the bleeding did not continue in the area where blood was drawn from). he was sent home with cephalexin for his allergies and prednisone. after he was given one pill of each medicine the vet called and said they gave him the wrong dosage, he was suppose to be prescribed half a pill not the full pill so do not give him more medication until the same time the following day. next day when it was time to give him medication i noticed he has thrown up a all his food and a what appears to be a blood clot the size of an egg yolk. i took him back to the vet and he was kept there over night and given injectable prednisone, for a the next few days, according to the vet, he did not appear to do any better. today, thurday, he received a blood transfusion and we're waiting to see how his body react with the new blood and they will give him a higher dosage for prednisone. i value all opinions and comments. thanks!

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

William Draper, DVM, better known as "Dr. Will," is a well-known small animal practitioner in the Atlanta, GA area. He grew up in Inglewood,...More

Helpful Tips

How to Get Your Cat in a CarrierExpert
Trying to get your cat in a carrier for a trip to the veterinarians or road trip can be extremely frustrating. Some how a 10# cat that ... More
Was this Helpful?
19 of 26 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections