Skip to content

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Need help with new very young puppy and my other dogs in the home
mypits posted:
Ok so I resently got a very very young puppy. She was almost 5 weeks when we brought her home. I thought i was doing the right thing because i knew shed be taken care of at home home young or not and the thought og someone taking her and using her for lets just say "bad things" really had me worried. She is a purebreed pitbull and very sweet is a normal puppy that is teething. My problem or concern lies with my other 2 pits. i have one 2 year old male very sweet loves evryone and every puppy big or small. My other pitbull is a almost 2 year old female also very sweet just is a little more not so carefull when she plays not bitie or anything just knows how to use her weight. Now the puppy of course was to young to be taken away from siblings and when i got her she was already the last one. So that being said I kept her for the first few day kinda blocked off whilei dewormed her as well as got her shots. Now i am on week 2 and have been throughout the day taking her out to start getting the idea of potty training started which everytime she goes out she goes potty. So everything sounds good right well when she plays she wrestles with my 2 or at least tries.My female who always likes to use her paws of course starts to put her heavy paw on her and the new puppy get very mad starts to growl and it turns from play to serious only from the puppy though not from my older dogs. I have read this maybe something i cant change do to her not being socializied or having the chance to rough house with her siblings and bascily learn that biting hurts.I really wanna make sure all 3 dogs get along this really is the only issue when theyre outside no problem when theyre inside once they start to play once my female starts that pawing stuff the puppy immediatly switches her tone. I want to start asap fixing this now before it becomes a huge issue as she gets older.My biggiest fear is wheather its not or a few month or years from now if not corrected can be very very bad and someone could get hurt. In the back of my mind i know she is a puppy and i know that 80 pound adult dog she is playing with is alot different then one her size so of course it hurts and she is saying that but my husband said that is serious growling not playing coming from the puppy. PLease if anyone has any helping ideas please let me know. And i am fully aware she should have never left but again she would have gone wheather we took her of someelse.I know my intentions so i felt she was safest with me rather then someone elses. I know a lot about the breed and grew up in kennels and pets stores and have never experienced this thats why i am asking for some help.

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

William Draper, DVM, better known as "Dr. Will," is a well-known small animal practitioner in the Atlanta, GA area. He grew up in Inglewood,...More

Helpful Tips

Just feed them ?
I caught my dog frantically licking the floor in the middle of the night last night. I took her outside and she started eating dry leaves ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections