Skip to content

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
scabs on cat
elena121959 posted:
One of my cats (I have 3) has several scabs in her neck area (the other 2 don't). I am taking her to the vet on Monday, but still want input from other professionals. I know that, if the cause was fleas, all 3 would be scratching. So I'm thinking it MIGHT be an allergy; like to certain cat latter brands or food, or even just dry skin. Thank you to whoever responds.

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Drew Weigner, DVM, ABVP responded:
There are many, many causes for scabs on the skin of cats including fleas, allergies, infections, tumors, autoimmune diseases, etc. It's easy to tell if your cat has fleas by combing with a flea comb. If he does, that may be the cause. But sometimes there are other diseases occurring in cats with fleas. It's good that you're taking her to see your veterinarian soon. He should be able to diagnose the cause and prescribe the appropriate treatment.

Drew Weigner, DVM, ABVP
The Cat Doctor
Board Certified in Feline Practice

elena121959 replied to Drew Weigner, DVM, ABVP's response:
Thank you. I will be doing that, but I DO want your opinion regarding fleas. I have 3 cats; so wouldn't all 3 have fleas instead of just one?

rohvannyn replied to elena121959's response:
One cat could be "tastier" to the fleas than the others, or if all three had fleas, one could have an allergy or sensitivity to the fleas that the others didn't.

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

William Draper, DVM, better known as "Dr. Will," is a well-known small animal practitioner in the Atlanta, GA area. He grew up in Inglewood,...More

Helpful Tips

Helping Hospice Patients Keep Their PetsExpert
Pets are an extremely important part of our lives. And this is especially true when we are at the end of our days. What could be more ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 46 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections